Friday, February 26, 2010

Stuck in Traffic

Don't you hate it when life gets in the way? That has been my story the last two days. I will admit that I skipped my workout Wednesday as I was tired but I had lost another pound and a half so I didn't feel bad about it and I stuck to my eating regime so no harm no foul. Thursday we had some good friends come by for a visit and that also got in the way of me working out, which honestly is fine.

I am taking a slow approach to my working out and listening to my body and not making excuses to not do it, but circumstances sometimes get in the way. Yesterday was one of those days. Tonight might be another as well as the same friends, who actually live north of us, but are expecting their first child any day now so are staying with his parents 10 minutes away as he has to work in the city, might come by to watch the hockey game as his parents don't have HD, priorities you know. ;)

As you can tell I am not too worked up about any of this and it very well may turn into me restarting on Monday or Sunday night because that is just how it has to be.

I wish I could get up early for work and get a workout in like Pam is doing, and believe me I am so proud of her for doing that with Jacqui, but I am pretty sure nobody else wants to get up at 4am to workout, so you can forgive me for not wanting to do that.

I am slowly finding my rhythm in this process; the biggest being balancing my dietary needs as a Diabetic who is trying to lose weight. No easy task believe me. I can't "diet" like everybody else, it's not viable as my body works differently than a normal person. I may look normal (shut it Pam!!) but I have an issue that is life-long and a royal pain in the ass, BUT, I have finally figured this beast out.

First step was my Insulin pump, it allows me the flexibility to do a lot of this through counting carbs and adjusting my basal rates (how much insulin I get per hour) to allow me to reduce the amount I eat while allowing me to still exercise with a lot less fear of going low. Granted it still happens, but I also know how to treat a low properly now, so I am not panicking and eating half a box of cereal or half a bag of cookies like I did before. (No exaggeration by the way). That is huge, because before it was all a guessing game and panic as I was going low constantly on WW when I tried that in the past, or going low 5-minutes into a workout because I was out of whack.

This is my journey and I have learned to embrace the highs and lows, (no pun intended) and just roll with it. I will admit that I thought I was going to hit it out of the park and be at my goal weight in like 3 months, and was a little cocky about it, but the reality is much different. It really is a slow road to healthy, but the scenery along the way is important, so I am glad that I am not missing any of it.

oh and one more thing...... GO CANADA GO!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. you are amazing! I'm so proud of you. And you are right balance in life is key...be it diet, exercise, work, family, friends, etc. I'm glad you are finally at a place where you are litteraly embracing the journey. And you are looking great to boot ;) By the way there's no reason you can't work out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...I love your little banter.

    Enjoying the journey is so essential. Too many people on too many diets are miserable and then they fall off the wagon for good, getting more out of shape and more miserable.
    I'm not a 4 in the morning work out girl, my body needs the sleep. I commend both Pam and Jacqui for doing it. KUDOS GIRLS
    And I'm proud of you for knowing your limitations and going with the flow, yet staying true to yourself on this journey. You're right, it isn't easy for someone who has certain restrictions. Be very proud of all you are accomplishing. And I love that you two are so supportive of each other. I know how important that is, having a supportive mate...wouldn't trade it for anything. It makes the journey even more enjoyable. :o)

    ReplyDelete